All Year 12 students are given the opportunity, time and support to undertake community service either within school or out in the community. We believe this is a very worthwhile undertaking as students can:
- Make a difference to the lives of others
- Gain work experience
- Make new friends, meet interesting people
- Develop personal and social skills
- Enhance their CV / personal statement / reference
Students organise their own placements and ‘typical’ placements include working in a care home, primary school or charity shop and supporting pupils in lessons. Students also volunteer to be part of the charity committee.
Sixth Form students play a vital role in the wider life of the school.
They act as role models for younger pupils and, through taking on leadership roles, become better prepared for adult life. They contribute in a variety of ways:
- Charity Events
- Ambassadors Scheme
- Literacy and Maths Buddies
- Sixthform Leadership Team
- Subject Ambassadoes
- Form Captains
- Study Support Team members
- Supporting younger pupils in lessons and enrichment activities
- Peer Mentoring
All students are advised to spend at least 2 weeks on Work Experience or Work Shadowing.
For example, shadowing medical staff at Basildon and Southend Hospitals, working at local law or accountancy practices. To facilitate this we have Extended Learning Weeks at the end of each Summer Term.